Sunday 26 December 2010

Riding Through Spain

For England, we are having a lot of snow at the moment. It is cold. I saw a temperature of -11.5C the other day. Oddly this is almost the same amount in Fahrenheit -11.3F.

My red bike is stuck in Ireland, awaiting the weather to improve so it can be road tested after having some work done on it. The Leading Ladies are still stuck in Los Angeles (update to come later).

Having no bike and having weather that means I cannot ride anyway this is obviously the right time to think about..... a road trip!

I have decided that with a few friends, a ride across Spain is needed. Oh, the warm weather, the mountains, the twisty roads.... it should be terrific.

Here is the route in outline....



















My friend Paul who rode with me for two weeks at the beginning of my USA tour has said yes to doing the ride. So has my pal Ian Solley of 7 Ages Custom Motorcycles. Martin and Joanna who I met when riding to Austria a couple of years ago are thinking about joining us. Jackie and the other non-riding partners with fly down and be there when we arrive.

We will get a ferry from Portsmouth to southern England to Santander in northern Spain and then ride on the eastern side of the country all the way to southern Spain, spend a few days at my house there before riding back through Spain on its western side. En route we will be staying in Paradores which are Spanish hotels in Castles, Palaces, Fortresses, Convents, Monasteries and other historic buildings.

I have mapped out the basic route and it looks like being over 2,000 miles.

Roll on summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment