Sunday 18 July 2010

The St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario

Today’s ride was mainly along the water’s edge of the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. I had better get used to seeing water on my right-hand side as it will be there most of the time from here all the way to Milwaukee.

Using more of Eve's knowledge of the area because she used to live here, I followed some of her suggestions for places to see along the St Lawrence River all the way through Cape Vincent to Tibbetts Point. The road down the coast was fantastic, with some great views and some terrific houses. Here is the road and views approaching the Point....















































The houses were of various sizes – a good mixture of large and small. I liked the houses that overlook the river and incorporate large windows to make the most of the view....









































The setting of the houses was very special with the sun out on this hot day, but I am sure it would be very different in the winter with the cold wind blowing off the river.

I soon approached the lighthouse at Tibbetts Point. I have decided I like lighthouses, but I was disappointed I could not climb the stairs in this one, due to “USCG and Insurance Regulations”.





















































Next I headed along the water once more to Pillar Point....





















I didn’t take many photos during the rest of the day as I left late this morning and I was trying to make up some of the time, by getting a decent amount of miles in. However, I didn’t realise I did this many miles....





















I did stop, turn round and take a photo of these matching Honda Gold-Wings. I have never seen two identical bikes as striking as these before. I didn’t see the riders, but “his and hers” maybe?....





















Finally for today, I went to see another lighthouse – this time at Sodus Point on Lake Ontario....





















0 comments:

Post a Comment