Tuesday 14 September 2010

Few Bends, but a Great Road Anyway....

I arrived in Canon (pronounced Canyon) City and struggled to find somewhere half-way decent to stay. I checked into a motel that was too cheap. It was okay but a little run down in a not very nice part of a not very nice town.

I went and checked out the Royal Gorge- I had heard it has a suspension bridge over a deep gorge. As I got within about 5 miles of the Gorge, the signs began. All sorts of promises of having a good time at the Gorge were displayed to tempt me. They didn’t - that sort of thing really puts me off – it is as if they are trying too hard to sell you something you don’t really want, or need.

When I arrived I asked how much to just go look at the bridge and Gorge without the amusement park, theme rides of other tourist trappings. $25 was the answer. “Thanks, but no thanks” was my reply. I wouldn’t mind paying that price if I was going to make a full day of it, but I had intended to be there for 10 mins at the most, and I don’t pay anybody the equivalent of $150 an hour.

I had heard about Skyline Drive and as it was in my gps / sat nav, I was able to easilly find it. I fixed on the GoPro camera, jumped on my bike and rode it. 3 times!

Skyline Drive is a nearly straight piece of road, with very few bends. It has a 15mph speed limit. It is one of the strangest roads I have ever ridden. But it is also one of the best short roads I have ridden. Want to know why? Watch the video....



The road runs along the top of a ridge, with steep drops to both sides! It was a lot of fun, in fact so much fun, the first time I did it, I wasn’t sure if the view from where I had put the camera would be good enough – it was probably too low, so I fixed it to the handlebars and did the road again. Then I went back and did it a third time to take photos....

Much of the road is like this. Narrow with a drop to at least one side....







































The roadway below seems very small from up here....







































Some parts of the road just seem to keep going up....




















I love this section – drops to both sides!.....




















More views....













































































Looking back....




















The Leading Ladies, parked right be the edge....




















It is a long way down.....




















The houses and gardens below....




















It is a great view from up here....




















I resisted riding it for a fourth time!

A truly great short road, that really lifted my spirits! I think I am back to normal again now!!

--------------------------------

Completely changing the subject, can anybody leand me a gun?

I just heard a sports commentator use the term "Winningest" and I want to go shoot him for corrupting a beautiful language. Winningest IS NOT A WORD!

That is nearly as bad as calling the winner of the Super Bowl the "World Champions". And don't get me started on the "World Series"....!

0 comments:

Post a Comment