Monday 30 May 2011

Riding in Slovenia and Croatia

The final day of our ride to Biograd in Croatia took us along some spectacular coastal roads alongside the Adriatic Sea.

It didn’t take long before we were leaving Italy and entering Slovenia....


























Our journey took us across a very narrow strip of Slovenia and as I rode along I realised people might ask later what was Slovenia like, so I took a picture just to answer that question. The simple truth is, we were not in Slovenia for long enough to form any decision about that....


























As part of the break-up of the former Yugoslavia, the Yugoslav wars took place between 1991 and 1995. These were complex and involved many different peoples, but especially the Serbs and the Croats. The conflict was extremely bitter and resulted in many deaths, with some leaders being tried for war crimes since the war ended. Borders were moved and today, there is a fully manned border between Slovenia and Croatia....





















As visitors, little evidence can be seen of the war, although talking to some Croatians just 16 years after the war ended, a great deal is remembered about what happened here and it was pointed out to us where shelling took place by hostile forces near to where the HOG rally was we were attending. However, it is easy to forget those conflicts as you ride along such a beautiful coastline. The coast road is narrow and twisty, following the shape of the sea it runs along and it reminded Ian and I of the Pacific Coast Highway in California. It really is that good.

Ian on the road....




















Some of the views along the coast road....












































The water is crystal clear....


























As we got nearer to Biograd, the location for the HOG Festival, we saw more and more Harley-Davidsons on the road, from all over Europe. While sometimes the buildings are not well finished externally, the setting can be stunning....




















This is a small fishing village we stopped for a drink in....



















Smiling on parts of the journey made was just unavoidable....
















As we rolled into Biograd after 1611 miles on the road, we reflected on a fantastic ride through some terrific scenery over five days of riding great roads in incredibly good weather. It doesn’t get much better than that. And there was still the HOG Festival to look forward to!  The star on the map shows where we had ridden to....


-------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject, is anybody else having trouble logging into Blogger? I can get into my Dashboard page fine when I am logged in, but when I try to view my blog, the top right hand corner of the page says “Sign in”, even though I am already signed in, or was. I can successfully make new posts on my blog, but I cannot make comments on my own blog in my name, as it asks me to sign in (even though just before I was signed in). On other peoples blogs, I can make comments in my name on some blogs, but not on some others. Very strange.

I think Arizona Harley Dude may be having the same trouble. Anyone else?



0 comments:

Post a Comment