Wednesday 14 April 2010

Lightweight vs Heavy Boots

I enjoy walking. One of the things I expect to do a considerable amount of when on my tour of the USA is to walk. I can picture stopping my bike, grabbing my camera and walking to explore and to take pictures. When I have done this before, footwear has sometimes been an issue, for to walk any distance in typical motorcycle boots is, well, a pain.

The heavy boots that are good for giving you protection on a bike are frankly useless for walking in, especially in the summer as the temperatures rise. Here are my normal riding boots, which I have had for years. Okay for walking short distances, but no good for anything longer.







My Normal Heavy Riding Boots














So, I have been trying to decide what boots to wear on my tour. As I will be travelling from June to October, the weather should generally be good, with only light rain (please!). During my 2 week motorcycle trip to California last May, I wore my regular heavy riding boots and I suffered in the heat. So, I have decided to go for a compromise between boots that give some protection but are very lightweight.

On Monday this week I decided to give myself a birthday present – new lightweight riding boots. Here they are....






New Boots









As you can see, not your regular riding boots. These are made by Alpinestars and are nearer to a shoe than a boot. They describe them as “this range of footwear offers a modern, casual look, while offering superior levels of protection and abrasion resistance. Constructed using synthetic leather, the shoe offers waterproof performance making it the ultimate, urban, riding shoe for all occasions.” As I said, a sort of a cross between giving some protection and being comfortable. And comfortable they are too.

Now, I just know that some of my readers are going to say that these won’t give the full protection needed on a bike.... and yes, I know this is true. But, I am a realist. Last May, I often left my heavy riding boots in my saddlebags, preferring instead to wear something really flimsy because it was just too hot to wear the heavy boots and that was the only other footwear I had with me. I would rather have something that is a good compromise between some protection and comfort, hence my new acquisition.

And before you suggest it, no I don’t want to carry two pairs of boots with me....!

0 comments:

Post a Comment