Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Wrong Road, Glenwood Springs and Ghostly Golfers....

Now I feel silly.

A few posts ago I mentioned I had been riding on I-70 and I thought this was the Million Dollar Highway, but silly me, it isn’t! Okay, I am a foreigner in a land full of roads, so if I get the occasional one wrong, then that’s ok!

Anyway, I did ride on I-70 that runs east-west through Colorado. I only did a short section either side of Glenwood Springs and considering it is an Interstate, I liked this one. I had read somewhere during my route planning that this section was impressive, so I rode it. I even un-necessarily rode passed Glenwood Springs just to see what it was like, turned around and came back again. I took a few shots of this road with my point and shoot camera as I rode along, so the pictures are not good, plus it was cloudy....




























































































Arriving in Glenwood Springs, I found the Chamber of Commerce and asked about where to stay – I was directed to the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort, which has the spring and hot pools as part of its complex. The hot springs has quite a history with people using it as a pool since 1880 and even before that by the Ute Indians....




















I went and sampled it’s delights , which were, well delightful. The main “rejuvenating pool” is maintained at 104F / 40C and smells of sulphur. I am really sceptical about alternative medicines and the same goes for things like hot springs, but I have to say, I did feel better after being in their a while. My back has been playing up for the past few days and I am sure the water did it some good.

Walking around the city of Glenwood I saw this dog sitting in the entrance to a shoe shop. He looked splendid as if he was guarding the doorway. I do like Labradors and this one was no exception. They just look so happy as you walk up to them to give them a stroke. Look carefully at the picture and see the door-stops to the shop....


























I went to see a chiropractor to see if the pain in my back could be made to go away. I felt a bit pummelled after the session, but I think it did some good. I asked the chiropractor, Anna, if she thought the hot pools actually did any good medically and she was convinced they do. She used them a lot when she first moved to Glenwood Springs. Anna had a her dog with her at work, something I think is a great idea. Anna likes blue-grass music and goes to concerts often and she enjoys singing. After being told that her dog, Kayla, joins in with the singing, I had to get the two of them to show me. Luckily I had my camera with me.... here are the two of them singing....


























I saw this .... I wonder if you can tell what it is....

















This is a bigger picture....




















That is some rust!

I went for a walk after dark and took my camera. Here are the springs at night. I was quite pleased with this picture....


















Next door to the springs is a mini-golf place that is illuminated and open at night. I took this picture of some ghostly golfers....


















Glenwood Springs seems like a fun town with lots to do locally. I imagine one could easily spend a week here and keep busy every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment