Tuesday 2 November 2010

San Francisco and the Giants Win!

After a few days in the cold of the mountains, I was now headed towards San Francisco.

I found this a welcoming sight as it was confirming the warmer temperatures I was riding towards....
















It was early morning and the air was still. I stopped at Courtland on the Sacramento River to look at the reflections in the water....














































Further along the river, I needed fuel and while filling the bike, I watched two lads doing tricks on their bikes. They were very good and I was surprised at the height they could get....




























































After a short while, they were told to stop doing tricks in the gas station!

On the way into San Francisco I went via Golden Gate Bridge, but the sun was in the wrong position and the side of the bridge I wanted to take a photo of was in shadow. This meant coming back later...




















I had set aside day 132 for looking around San Francisco. I started near Fishermans Wharf and looked at the fishing boats....


















This is the USS Pampanito, moored and on display in the Pier 39 area. Built in 1943 the ship played its part in World War Two....



















I took photos of two boats moored next to each other. They were boats that cruised to take visitors out to the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. This was at the stern....


























And these are the bows....




















This is the Alcatraz Prison Island. It would be a long way to swim for the prisoners that tried to escape, especially in the strong tides the area....




















The boards of the boardwalk in the Fishermans Wharf area....




















Sea Lions live at Pier 39. It is very peculiar to see wildlife so close to people, but also very welcome. Like hundreds of thousands before me, I stood they watching them for some time. I loved watching them....








































































I liked this kite, one of many on sale at the wharf....


























I rode up to Coit Tower. Sadly both the elevator and stairs were closed so it wasn’t possible to get to the top to see the view....


























The Streets of San Francisco....




















I have no idea what these are, but I really liked them....


























One of the places I wanted to see was the area of San Francisco where the hippy movement started. The centre of the hippy world was a road junction called Haight and Ashbury....

















Nice legs....




















Two very different but both good tattoo shop signs....




















































A row of houses called the Painted Ladies at Alamo Square....




















The Leading Ladies outside the Painted Ladies....




















Chinatown....


























One of the famous cable cars with the downtown area in the background....




















I parked next to a SF Police bike. I spoke to the officer who had been riding police bikes for 14 years and he loved it!....




















In the evening I went to a bar to watch the 5th game of the Baseball World Series. I hadn’t watched much baseball before but during this tour I had watched a few games and was becoming interested in who might win. I took my camera along to the bar and took a few photos as the San Francisco Giants won the World Series....




















Congratulations Giants!

Staying near the centre of SF, I heard a lot of car horns being blown in celebration!

0 comments:

Post a Comment