Monday 25 October 2010

Mormons, the Snow Canyon and 18,000 miles

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I didn’t have a National Park to go see today. I have got used to riding to such parks and adopting a tourist approach of following the signposts and stopping at most of the designated overlooks. I couldn’t do that on day 121 and I found that quite refreshing.

I found a small lake hidden away behind some trees. It just caught my eye as I rode past, so I turned around and went back to check it out. I think it was near Kanab in Utah, near the border with Arizona. I really liked the reflection of the trees in the water....


























I skipped breakfast this morning and so I was getting hungry. I rode through the Kanab Indian Reservation, but didn’t find anywhere to eat and after some time, I saw that Colorado City was ahead, which sounded as if it would have places to eat. It didn’t, but it was very interesting. The first thing that struck me about this city was its lack of paved roads. I rode through the city more still looking for somewhere to eat and I saw a gathering of women all dressed in long plain dresses and then I realised where I was. I was in Hildale and I had read about this place, a centre for the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a place where polygamy is practiced.

I wanted to stop and talk to some people, but I had an uneasy feeling about the town. Riding a motorbike, I was obviously an outsider and I felt unwanted in this place where just about everybody stopped what they were doing and stared as I rode passed. I didn’t stop the bike until I reached the base of adjacent mountains at a placed called Maxwell Park. I parked the Leading Ladies and while I was getting my camera out of my saddlebags I noticed an all female group having a picnic. Again I felt as if I was intruding and I could tell they were talking about me, so I gave them a wave and walked toward though the park. Only the eldest woman waved back.

I decided it was probably best not to take any pictures of anybody so I photographed the mountain....




















Finding no place to eat and very few other shops, I soon left Hildale and Colorado City, feeling disappointed that I hadn't stopped and talked to people.

Near the city of Washington in Utah, I went to see Snow Canyon. I had read about it somewhere when I was planning my route, but I couldn’t remember what was there. Well, it is a little treasure! Here are a few pictures....

He view from the top, looking down....




















A lava field set against the red rocks....




















A large rock outcrop....




















The Leading Ladies in Snow Canyon....




















Compared with most canyons I have seen recently, Snow Canyon is quite small, but one of the nicest as its scale is much easier to understand and take in. It is worth a visit on a sunny day.

I am not sure, but I think this is at the south western end of the Canyon....




















On Old Highway 91 between Ivins and Gunlock, I passed the 18,000 mile point of my tour, so here is the customary picture....




















Nearby in the town of Santa Clara sits this statue in the middle of a roundabout....


























Finally for today, here is a picture of myself. The picture is similar to one Sonja recently put on here blog, so I thought I would borrow the idea....

0 comments:

Post a Comment